Rose Apple Tart
For the Pie Crust:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Roll the pastry out into the pie dish and trim to fit. Prick the base with a fork several times, line with baking paper and fill with ceramic baking beans.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the edges start to lightly brown.
- Remove from the oven, and remove the baking paper and baking beans. Return to the oven for 6-10 minutes until the base is cooked and dry looking. Set Aside.
For the custard:
- Combine the coconut sugar, coconut milk and salt into a medium saucepan on high heat. Stirring occasionally, bring to a boil being careful it doesn’t spill over, then turn down the heat to a high simmer. Continue to cook until it becomes darker in colour and slightly thicker, around 7-10 minutes.
- Take the caramel off the heat and whisk in the cornflour until smooth. Whisk in the almond milk and vanilla extract.
- Place the pot on medium to high heat. Make sure to stir regularly. The custard will start to form first on the bottom, when you notice this happening, give it a whisk to make sure the custard stays smooth (continue to whisk now and then throughout). When it starts to thicken, turn down the heat to low. Still stirring regularly, keep cooking until it’s a thick custard consistency.
- Pour into baked pastry shell, cover with clingfilm and refrigerate while you prepare the apples.
For the apples:
- Place the lemon juice into a medium bowl. Then using either a mandolin or a sharp knife, finely slice the apples (making sure to remove the core!) and place into the bowl, coating in the lemon juice to prevent them going brown. Then pour over the brown sugar and cinnamon, and toss together so the apple slices are evenly coated.
Starting from the outside, place the apples slices with the skin side on top in circles, over the custard layer of the tart, making sure to overlap each slice. Keep going until you reach the middle, and roll one slice to create the centre, Fill in gaps with any remaining apple slices, you want it to be tightly packed. Then dot over the butter, and place in the oven for 40 minutes. The apples will feel tender and the filling will be bubbling.
- Allow to cool to room temperature before serving.
This recipe uses Almond Breeze® Barista
You will need:
1 round 25cm pie tin, greased
1 pack ready rolled shortcrust pastry
3 medium apples
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp light brown soft sugar
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
For the custard layer:
4 tbsp dark brown sugar
1 cup canned full fat coconut milk
1/2 tsp salt
2.5 tbsp cornflour
1/4 cup Almond Breeze Unsweetened
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 tsp nutmeg
1/3 tsp salt